Why we are concerning ourselves with the history of the Saaz jews?
Why do we concern ourselves at all with history? Because without knowledge of the past we cannot understand the present times. Historical records supplement our genetic memory and thereby enable us to form our future in a way not posssible to animals.On the other hand we find explanations in history as to why our present time is as it is. Before the war ten percent of the population of Saaz were jews. Like everywhere in Europe they contributed an important part to the economy and culture which is missing today. If we search for reasons for the condition of the town as ist is today, this loss may be one of them. However, people can learn for the future from the mistakes of the past.
- Documentation concerning the jews of Saaz based upon documents from the archives and testimonies of surviving jews of Saaz, now living in the Czech Republic or in Israel.
- Setting up a website with a data bank for the project “Jews in Saaz and aryanized houses of Saaz”.
- Exhibition “The Jews of Saaz” (Žatec): www.zatec-zide.eu
- Documentation commemorating the airlift Zatec-Saaz to Tel Aviv (Haifa), Nov. 2010
- Restoration of the Jewish cemetery and the buildings belonging to it in cooperation with he Jewish Community of Teplice
- Setting up of a memorial and an information centre for jewish culture and religion on the premises of the Jewish cemetery